Questions? Feedback? powered by Olark live chat software
caramel & cocoa

Caramel & Cocoa - cooking, parenting, fashion, diy, eating, living, a blog

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Before I turn 40

I’m an ‘old’ 32-year old. That’s kind of like the opposite of “being a young 65 year-old.”

I’m obsessed with my age and always have been. I suffered from great anxiety in the months leading up to my 25th birthday and I put alot of pressure on years 25 – 30.

At 25 I made an unrealistic (and poorly though-out) list of things to have accomplished by the age of 30 which included things like:
  1.  buy a luxury car
  2. having (at least) 4 children
  3. establishing my career
  4.  publishing a book 
  5.  retiring at the age of 30



My late twenties turned into a mix of ‘finding myself’, ‘ testing things out”, and ‘surviving life”. It
was hit and miss really.

By my 30th birthday:
  1. I drove a used SAAB big enough to fit 2 car seats and a large buggy in the back.
  2.  I had had 2 children (far) too close together.
  3. I was still ‘establishing’ my career.
  4. I was still ‘talking’ about publishing a book, and hadn’t written a chapter, page or word.
  5.  Was nowhere near retiring.


So now, at 32, I am giving this whole ‘before I turn’ tactic another attempt.
Before I turn 40, I would like to:

  1. have remembered to enjoy my time with my children (most of it anyway). Part of this would involve having taken a big trip with all 3 (or 4) of them and husband of course. A 6 months tour of Latin America perhaps? 
  2. play an instrument well – and I don’t mean in this airy fairy ‘I can play twinkle star’ way. I want to be able to hear a song and play it.
  3.  run a full-marathon. I mean run, not walk. But I don’t mean run quickly or set any sort of unrealistic goal. I’m not crazy or a masochist.
  4. have performed in front of an audience. I don’t have any real talent in anything really, ANYTHING!!! But I see the value in putting myself forward. But more importantly, it would be good for my children to see this too.
  5. have a decent retirement plan in order.
  6. publish a book. This is something I have wanted to do since I was about 16. I’ve finished chapters of two novels so I just need to pick up some pace and pray to God someone will want to publish one of them, ideally both. 
  7. eat well. Be fit. And have flat abs. I don’t want flat abs always but maybe for a 6 month period.
  8. do that inverted crow yoga pose.
  9. have perfected my own ‘go to’ unique Mexican 5 course meal for hosting.
  10. continue to live below my means. My husband and I are literally from different parts of the world but one thing I have learned from him is ‘living below one’s means.” Don’t chase the things (handbags, shoes, make-up, car, stuff) but the experiences and moments. I hope my children adopt this way of life as well. It makes for greater conversation and a free-er spirit. I hope to still be in this mindset at 40.
What's on your list?




No comments:

Post a Comment