Questions? Feedback? powered by Olark live chat software
caramel & cocoa

Caramel & Cocoa - cooking, parenting, fashion, diy, eating, living, a blog

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Chicken, Carrot, Potato & Apple Soup


I had no intention of cooking today. My fridge is virtually empty at the moment so my original plan was to reheat yesterday's pork loin and throw a couple of sweet potatoes in the oven for the family. However, I awoke to a chilly morning and a coughing 1 year old. The best remedy for a cold or cough is a hearty chicken soup. After a quick trip to the store, here is what I did. It turned out fabulous. The best part is that it was really easy.

Ingredients: (this recipe will serve about 4)

1 large chicken breast cut into small pieces (I used a pack of diced chicken)
2 carrots cut into pieces
1 large potato, peeled and cut into pieces
1 large apple, peeled, cored and cut into pieces
1 small onion (I used the leftovers of yesterdays red onion for my pork loin)
stock cube in 4 cups water (1 liter) or real stock if you have any (I always use vegetable cubes)
2 tablespoons plain white flour
seasoning to taste

1. Place chicken, carrots, potato, apple and onion in large pot and then add the stock. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat. Cover and let simmer until vegetables are very tender and chicken is cooked (about 30 minutes).

2. Add flour using a sieve or just do it slowly & carefully. You don't want clumps but you do want the mixture to become a bit denser. Add seasonings of preference. I did not add anything and it came out very good. Had the soup not been intended for the kids I probably would have added a jalapeno that I have floating in the fridge. Let it bubble for 10 - 15 minutes then turn off the heat and let cool. [At this point the baby was having her morning nap so I ran into the garage to put a coat of paint on a file cabinet].

3. Once cooled down put it in a blender and blend until smooth. Note. I had to do it in 3 lots because of the amount of liquid. I've learned alot about blending. Never overfill and never blend hot mixtures!

4. Reheat in a pot before serving.

5. I served with wheat buns and orange juice. This lunch was just for myself and the baby but it was just what the doctor ordered.






No comments:

Post a Comment