Questions? Feedback? powered by Olark live chat software
caramel & cocoa

Caramel & Cocoa - cooking, parenting, fashion, diy, eating, living, a blog

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Mince (Ground Beef)


I like to make ground beef (minced meat) every now & again because it can be popped into different types of dishes or served on rice or with vegetables. Great. I made this lot and stuck half of it in the freezer which I will defrost sometime in the future when I don't feel like cooking.

Mince is easy to make, but the hard bit for me is getting my toddler to eat it without picking out the onions or garlic. I have started turning the onions and garlic into a paste and cooking that first, then adding the mince. It takes minutes to do, really improves the mince and the child eats it.

How to:

Take 1 diced onion, 2 garlic cloves, 2 basil leaves (if you have any on hand), a bit of leek, a tablespoon of butter, 3 tablespoons of water and whatever other herbs and spices you like (I used a knorr cube) and pulse it in a food processor to create a paste. I just use a blender because I don't have a food processor. You might need to add more water.

Once the paste is done, pour it onto a large saucepan with olive oil on it & cook it for a few minutes.


Add the seasoned beef and brown. Season.

Add a can of diced tomatoes and let bubble. Once bubbling, reduce the heat and cook on low turning and mixing every now and again. Depending on how much beef you have, it can take anywhere from 20 - 40 minutes to cook thoroughly & you might need some more tomatoes. Be creative & just go with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment