Questions? Feedback? powered by Olark live chat software
caramel & cocoa

Caramel & Cocoa - cooking, parenting, fashion, diy, eating, living, a blog

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Margarita's Cheesecake


Margarita is my mom. Now. My mom only taught me a handful of dishes and baked goods and this has always been my favorite. But I'll admit I had to ring my sister and ask for the recipe since I always forget it. It is easy and so so yummy. Pie crust is easy to make too. My only tip is to make sure the dough is cold when rolling it out (ie use cold butter & ice water) and put in fridge if you are not rolling it out immediately. Working with a warm dough causes it to break while rolling out. Alternatively, you can by the crust ready made.

For Pie Crust:

1 cup flour (220 grams)
2.5 ounces cold unsalted butter (145 grams) best to cut it into pieces
teaspoon of salt
ice water (2 tablespoons)

For the Filling:
about 300 grams cream cheese (about 10 ounces)
3/4 cups white sugar
3 tablespoons light brown sugar (I use muscavado)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons lemon juice

To make the pie crust:
In a large bowl add flour and salt and mix. Cut the butter into squares and add to the bowl. Mix contents together using your fingers. Combine until the mixture resembles wet sand. Then use ICE COLD water to bring the mixture together and form the dough into a disk shape. You might not need all of the water.

Sprinkle flour over your counter top and on the rolling pin. Roll out the dough to a large circle shape and place over into the pie tin. Once that is ready put aside.

To make the pie filling:
Heat oven to 350 F (175 C, about 20 degrees less if you are using a fan)
In a large bowl place the cream cheese, white sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract and lemon juice until smooth. I just use a hand wire whisk. Pour the batter into the pie tin. Bake until the top is a golden color and a fork inserted comes out clean. The time depends on the oven but should be between 30 - 40 minutes.

To serve let it cool. I served mine with a bit of maple syrup. It was very good and if I am honest, I now have a second one in the oven. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment